Abia State Governor, Dr. Alex Otti, OFR, has directed the harmonisation of the 2023 and 2025 Consolidated Medical Salary Structure (CONMESS) for implementation at the Abia State University Teaching Hospital (ABSUTH).
Governor Otti gave the directive on Thursday, August 20, 2026, when he received a progress report from the ABSUTH Board and Management, led by the Board Chairman, Dr. Ezinne Kalu, during a working visit to the Governor’s Office.

The Governor said the development of the health sector remains a major priority of his administration, stressing that the State’s consistent allocation of 15 per cent of its annual budget to healthcare is driven by the need to provide affordable and quality medical services to Abians.
He, however, emphasised that improving healthcare infrastructure must go hand in hand with the welfare and working conditions of medical professionals.
Governor Otti reiterated his administration’s determination to reposition ABSUTH as a world-class tertiary healthcare institution, noting that the first phase of the intervention focused on restoring critical accreditations that had been lost before the current administration assumed office.
He also disclosed that some facilities previously concessioned to private entities by the previous administration had been recovered following engagements and settlements, with the facilities now returned to ABSUTH management.
CONMESS: Otti Seeks Clarity On Salary Adjustments
Responding to issues contained in the ABSUTH Board’s report, particularly on staff welfare, manpower and power supply, Governor Otti expressed concern that the 2023 CONMESS approval earlier granted by his administration was not fully implemented before the Federal Government reviewed the salary structure in 2025.
The Governor explained that the 2023 structure, as presented to him, was expected to place Abia health workers on a competitive salary scale, potentially above their Federal counterparts.
He said he had carefully considered the financial implications before granting approval.
Otti subsequently directed the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Health, Dr. Ifeyinwa Uma-Kalu, and the Chief Medical Director of ABSUTH, Prof. Nneka Okoronkwo, to work together and harmonise the two salary structures.
He asked them to return with clear figures showing the financial implications of the adjustment, stressing that the government would then determine the appropriate funding arrangement.

Governor Approves 861 Health Workers
On manpower, Governor Otti advised ABSUTH management to adopt a gradual recruitment strategy, giving priority to doctors, nurses and other critical healthcare professionals.
He disclosed that his administration had approved the recruitment of 861 health workers across other levels of healthcare, excluding ABSUTH, with 670 already recruited within the last six months.
The Governor said the recruitment remains ongoing, adding that the State must provide competitive welfare packages to retain skilled professionals.
According to him, failure to provide competitive working conditions could result in health workers leaving Abia for jurisdictions offering better incentives.
Otti Moves To Resolve ABSUTH Power Challenge
On the hospital’s request for a stable and sustainable power supply, Governor Otti directed the Commissioner for Power to engage ABSUTH management and work out an enduring electricity supply arrangement.
He noted that the availability of Geometric Power should make it possible to address the hospital’s power challenge, given the critical nature of its services.
The Governor also disclosed that the Niger Delta Power Holding Company had indicated its willingness to work with Geometric Power on an alternative gas supply solution following his engagements with relevant stakeholders.
Tesla MRI Installation Gets Government Attention
Governor Otti further disclosed that efforts were ongoing to provide a befitting facility for the installation and operation of the Tesla MRI machine donated to ABSUTH by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The equipment, valued at over $1 million, is expected to significantly strengthen the diagnostic capacity of the teaching hospital.
“We are working round the clock to get accommodation for it,” Governor Otti said, assuring that ongoing interventions at ABSUTH would continue.
ABSUTH Board Reports Progress
Earlier, ABSUTH Board Chairman, Dr. Ezinne Kalu, presented the Board’s report titled “Stabilizing Today: Building the Teaching Hospital Abia Deserves.”
She described the report as being built around three key pillars — appreciation, evidence and decision — saying the Board’s findings were based on extensive fact-finding and an assessment of the institution’s current realities.
Dr. Kalu said government interventions had helped rebuild public confidence in ABSUTH, describing the institution’s current stage as a transition from “institutional rescue” to “operational consolidation.”
The Chief Medical Director, Prof. Nneka Okoronkwo, thanked Governor Otti for his interventions in resolving the crisis involving House Officers, Residents and other interns engaged by the hospital.
She also highlighted several approvals by the Governor, including payment of intern salaries, settlement of outstanding salaries owed to three ABSUTH staff for two years, payment of MDCAN shortfalls following centralisation of payment and approval for staff due for promotion.
ABSUTH Records No Strike In Three Years
In his vote of thanks, the Deputy Board Chairman and Provost of the College of Medicine, Prof. Chuks Kamanu, commended Governor Otti for responding to the requests of the institution.
Kamanu disclosed that ABSUTH had, for the first time in 16 years, operated without a strike since Governor Otti assumed office three years ago.
He further revealed that the hospital was currently recording 100 per cent bed occupancy, with individual doctors attending to an average of 100 patients weekly.
Prof. Kamanu said the progress recorded at ABSUTH demonstrated the importance of continuity in the administration’s healthcare reforms and expressed support for Governor Otti’s re-election bid in 2027.
The Secretary to the State Government, Dr. Emmanuel Meribole, joined the Governor in receiving the ABSUTH Board.
OHAFIATV Newsroom
Copyright Warning!
Disclaimer
Just to let you know, comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of OHAFIATV News or any employee thereof. Also, every opinion expressed in any article is strictly that of the author(s), except where otherwise stated.

